-->

Selena Gomez Opens Up About Breakup And Mental Health Struggles, Reflects On Social Media Hiatus

Singer-actress Selena Gomez recently spoke candidly about her past relationship with popstar Justin Bieber, revealing how their breakup and the pressures of social media affected her mental health. The ‘Only Murders in the Building’ star’s on-again, off-again romance with the ‘Yummy’ hitmaker finally came to an end after eight years in 2018, shortly before Justin Bieber confirmed his relationship with now-wife Hailey Baldwin.

Selena Gomez disclosed that her heartbreak played a significant role in her decision to take a break from social media, particularly Instagram. She shared her thoughts in an interview with Fast Company, where she mentioned that after her breakup, she didn’t want to see what everyone else was doing and felt overwhelmed by the platform. She also mentioned how comparing herself to others on Instagram negatively impacted her self-esteem, saying, “Wow, I wish my body looked like that.”

Furthermore, Selena Gomez revealed that hurtful comments about her body, as it no longer conformed to unrealistic beauty standards, took a toll on her self-image. She questioned the unrealistic expectations placed on women’s bodies, stating, “None of the sample sizes were fitting, and that would make me feel embarrassed. How unrealistic is it to expect a normal woman’s body not to change?”

In addition to her relationship woes and body image struggles, Selena Gomez faced challenges related to her mental health. She was diagnosed with bipolar disorder the same year she split from Justin Bieber but only chose to make her condition public two years later. She explained that she was initially “freaked out” by the idea of being open about her mental health because she feared judgment and losing work opportunities.

Selena Gomez reflected on her past, saying, “I grew up being a people pleaser. I had a responsibility at a very young age – young people were looking up to me. I didn’t know who I was. Having that responsibility would make me walk on eggshells a lot.” She expressed concerns that being open about her mental health could jeopardize her career.

However, Selena Gomez eventually found relief in her diagnosis, as it helped her understand and manage her mood swings better. She shared, “I went through a really hard season. It was my highs and my lows, and I didn’t know what to do, so I couldn’t control it. I would want to cancel things. It was just a tormented feeling. That’s why, when I found out my diagnosis, it was just: ‘Oh, okay, I feel a bit relieved, I understand a bit more.'”

Despite the challenges she’s faced, Selena Gomez attributes her popularity to her relatability. She believes she comes across as a “best friend” to her fans rather than an unattainable “goddess.” She expressed admiration for artists like BeyoncĂ© and Adele but is content with her own identity, saying, “I’m me, and I’m a little silly, but I also like being sexy and fun, and I also want to do good with the time I have here. We need goddesses like BeyoncĂ© and Adele. But I’m just happy to be your best friend.”

Also Read: Victoria Beckham Opens Up About Husband David Beckham’s Alleged Infidelity In Netflix Documentary

Read on Lehren - Selena Gomez Opens Up About Breakup And Mental Health Struggles, Reflects On Social Media Hiatus



source https://lehren.com/entertainment/hollywood/selena-gomez-opens-up-about-breakup-and-mental-health-struggles/180198/

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter